Chapter Two: Uddalaka's Teaching Concerning the Oneness of the Self - 5.2. Swami Krishnananda.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, January 30, 2021. 07:58. AM.

SECTION 5: ILLUSTRATIONS OF THE THREEFOLD NATURE - 2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annamayam hi saumya manah apomayah pranah tejomayi vag iti; bhuya eva ma bhagavan vijnapayatv iti; tatha saumya, iti hovaca.

"My dear boy, listen to the conclusion of my research. The mind is essentially formed of food, the prana is essentially formed of water and speech is essentially formed of fire." The boy says, "It is very difficult for me to understand all these things. Please clarify this a little more. These are unheard of things that you are telling me, that I am made up of the three elements, that I have nothing in me of my own. This is strange indeed. It looks as if I cannot exist at all independently. I am 'somebody else'. Unbelievable! Please explain further." "Yes, I shall tell you, in detail, dear boy. Listen attentively."

SECTION 6: FURTHER ILLUSTRATIONS :

"Dadhnah saumya mathyamanasa yo'nima sa urdhvah samudishati, tat sarpir-bhavati.

Evam-eva khalu, saumya annasyasyamanasya yo'nima sa urdhvah samudishati tan-mano bhavati." :

"You know, curd (yogurt), when churned, exudes butter. Butter rises up on churning the curd. It comes up as the essential part of the milk through the process of curdling and churning. This is what happens to the food that we take. It is churned inside by the forces of our body, and the essential part of the food rises up into the structure of the psychological organ. It becomes the essence of our thinking process. It becomes the mind. As butter comes out of milk through curdling and churning, even so, the mind starts functioning by means of the churning of the food through the action of the forces of the body. This is the case with everything else also—the water that we drink, and the other fiery elements that we consume.

"Apam, saumya, piyamananam yo'nima sa urdhvah samudishati sa prano bhavati.

Tejasah saumya asymanasya yo'nima, sa urdhvah samudishati sa vag-bhavati." :

In the same way as the mind is formed of the essential subtle parts of gross food, so is prana formed of water and speech formed of the fiery elements in the food. "So, my dear boy, have I concluded my findings."

Annamayam hi saumya, manah, apomayah pranah tejomayi vagiti: bhuya eva ma, bhagavan, vijnapayatv-iti; tatha, saumya, iti hovaca.

"Now do you understand that the mind is formed of food, prana is made of water, and speech is made of fire?" "Still more do I require clarification. This much is not enough. Tell me something more about this secret." "Yes; I shall now declare the secret behind all this, how food influences the mind, and how the mind is entirely dependent upon food."

To be continued ...

===============================================================

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Chhandogya Upanishad - CH-2, SEC-8, POST-2. Swami Krishnananda.

The Chandogya Upanishad : 1.13. Swami Krishnananda

The Chandogya Upanishad - 3-11 : Swami Krishnananda.